Monday, January 13, 2014

Loving Myself

You know what's crazy? I was looking in the mirror the other night, washing my face, when I realized something: For the first time in a long time, I'm really happy with who I am. For the first time in a long time, I feel wanted. In fact, for the first time in my life, I feel pretty.


This is all insane to me given that I never felt this way in my marriage. It took my husband leaving and some time for me to feel wanted. That seems a little ironic, yes?

But here's what I realized: I want me. I don't need my husband or my father or my friends or anyone else to want me, because I'm doing that for myself. And that's awfully fulfilling.

Not to mention, God wants me. To Him, I am beautiful.

I love where my life is going: I'm happy with my jobs and school, and I'm excited to start law/grad school in the fall. I'm excited to move across the country and start an adventure that's all my own, no one else's. I'm excited to work toward my career and personal goals.

For the first time in my life, I'm living (mostly) for me. That doesn't mean being selfish, but it does mean not sacrificing my happiness for unfulfilling relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment