Thursday, January 16, 2014

Being A Part of "Divorce Culture"

I hate being judged for being divorced. A lot of people find out that I am a young divorcee and they automatically peg me as a member of the "divorce culture" -- the culture in which people just throw away the commitments they've made.

But, the thing is, that is not me. When it comes to marriage, I'm actually a traditionalist.

I believe in the sanctity of marriage.

I believe that once you take those vows, you should keep them.

I believe one should go into marriage only after seriously considering the commitment.



When my husband left, it caused me some serious heartache. I hate divorce. I don't believe in divorce. But there I was, in the midst of it.

I was not in control.



Nothing I could have done would have saved my marriage. I tried talking to my husband. I tried giving him time. I tried reminding him of our vows. I tried refusing to sign divorce papers. Nothing worked.

When he finally revealed to me that he never actually believed in the permanence of marriage, I suddenly understood why our marriage was destined to fail from the beginning.



So, here's the thing: I am a believer in marriage who was forced into divorce and has to live with the situation she was given. I choose to trust in God's plan and make the best of it because, someday, I want a marriage with someone who also believes in the sanctity of marriage. I want a marriage with someone who believes in keeping his vows.

I want a marriage with someone who is open, honest, and willing to work through things. Not someone who wants to give up because we're "going in different directions."

No comments:

Post a Comment